Sunday, December 2, 2007

Army vs. The Oil Patch

Well I'm coming to the end of my first year in the Army which I've been told is the worst and I wonder if I made the right decision.  I worked in and out the oil patch for ten years on different Jobs and I find my self weighing the pros and cons.  So far the Army sucks but it has had it's moments. I'll start with the cons ...
1)lack of privacy... these living arrangements suck but it's the army and I suppose compared to other Army's I got it good.  One room 4 guys (Soon I'm out of here and get posted to a single room thank god).  The Oil patch when in work camps fed me better and only periodically stuck me in a room with other rig pig.
2)BULLSHIT INSPECTIONS -- Nuff said I hate them so, so demeaning...
3)the Money$$$$$ It blows even though the Canadian forces pays it's soldiers second highest in the world after Australia, there is no comparing the two, I make a forth of I made before depressing...
4)The endless red tape... it's frustrating, never had the problems I do here then when working in the patch
NOW for the pros---
1) the people are better Todays Army does attract a better quality persons, fight way less get along way better with others.  The oil Patch has the most narrow minded racist, bigoted, assholes with too much money and not enough common sense.  I'm sure a good portion of the Oil workers are good people but the Job help creates the assholes within.
2)education, priceless I'm finishing my degree (albeit slowly) but for free and the occupational technical training is a change for the positive...
3)Time for self and family. The Oil patch was 12 hour work days 3 weeks on 1 week off... no life played hard cause I could afford too but in retrospect I regret neglecting friends and family over the years.  A bond is as only as strong as you nurture it.  With weekends and evenings mostly off I can do more socially.  I'm single but the happy marriages seems to be higher... time will tell on that one.
4)I saw a lot of different places working in the oil patch but have traveled farther in the Army; so far I've trained in Quebec and Ontario gonna see New York soon too, bonus*

Well it's tie hmmmm in my gut I fell I made the right choice, only time will tell if i survive next year I'm in Afganistan...

No comments: